Anytime I make something my husband can eat with chunks of bread, he pretends he’s “Braveheart” and says things like “Mmmmmm” and “Aye.” This dish will feed 6-8 people in big bowls, unless my husband’s eating with you. Then it’ll be more like 4. You can double the recipe to make a larger batch. You can adjust the spice level to accommodate your palate. Serve with warm, crusty bread and an ice-cold beer. Enjoy!
What you need:
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs ground beef (I use 80%)
- 2 15.5 oz cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 bottle of Guinness (Dark beer works best for taste, but if you don’t have it any bottle of beer will do.)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 med onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 oz of extra sharp cheddar cheese (Or whatever type of cheese you like best.)
What to do:
- In a med pot over med-low heat add oil.
- Chop onions, peppers, and garlic and add to pot.
- Add chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- In a separate pan, brown meat, drain and add to pot with peppers, onions, garlic and spices. Mix well.
- Add crushed tomatoes. Stir well.
- Add bottle of beer.
- Add kidney beans.
- Add parmesan cheese. Stir well and simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Grate sharp cheese and serve on top of chili.