The cupboards were pretty bare and I had 4 hungry boys looking at me the other night. So I threw this little diddy together from what I had within reach. It turned out FANTASTIC so I wanted to get it written asap. Simple, hearty and REALLY cheap to make!
What you need:
- 1 16 oz can Stewed Tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 small to medium onion
- 2 carrots (adds a little sweetness)
- 1 lb or so of Hot Italian Sausage (I buy whatever I can find that is cheapest. Wegmans has “Floyd’s Own” and I usually can get a package for around $3.)
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- Fresh basil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 lb pasta (I used penne)
What to do:
- Brown sausage in a pan with a small amount of oil.
- Chop onion, garlic and carrot. (Chop carrot thinly so it cooks quicker) Add to pan with sausage. Lightly salt and pepper and let soften 5-8 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes and mix well. Let cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Cook pasta.
- Chop basil and add before serving on top of pasta.
- Add parmesan cheese to taste.